Got questions about your communications/PR career? We’ve got some answers!
All students with an interest in a career in public relations or communications are invited to meet a group of senior communicators who will answer career-related questions, at a student speed networking event next Wednesday, Jan. 23, from 7 to 9 p.m., at Hart House at the University of Toronto. The event is organized by the Toronto chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), but you don’t need to be a member to attend!
Find out answers to questions like:
- Which environment would you most enjoy working in: corporate, agency, not-for-profit or public sector?
- What is the career path for the type of job you want when you graduate?
- How many different disciplines are there in the communications field?
- Why does every communications professional need to have strong research skills?
Here’s whom you will meet:
- Katy Francis, ABC, Senior Strategic Communications Advisor, Human Resources & Equity, University of Toronto. Katy will be speaking specifically about Internal Communications, Crisis Communications & Corporate Communications.
- Emily Baillie, Communications Advisor, Legal Aid Ontario. Emily will be speaking about Legal Communications & working abroad.
- John Bromley, ABC, Public Affairs Manager, Canadian Blood Services. John will be speaking about Public Affairs.
- Jane Gilbert, Chief Communications Officer, The Nature Conservancy of Canada. Jane will be speaking about Not-for-profit with a focus on Media Relations.
- Anne Locke, Senior Consultant, Environics Communications. Anne will be speaking about working in Agency with a consumer focus.
- Neil Hrab, MA, Manager, Government & Stakeholder Research and Policy, Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System. Neil will be speaking about Government and Stakeholder Relations.
- Yvonne Catty, ABC, Managing Director, Vitamin-3 Communications. Yvonne will be speaking about Corporate Communications, Crisis Communications & Issues Management from an International Communications perspective.
- Rob McMahon, Director of Communications, Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario. Rob will be speaking about Social Media, Media Relations and Issues Management.
- Christine Andrew, MBA, Senior Marketing Manager, KPMG. Christine will be speaking about Marketing.
Register at http://toronto.iabc.com/iabc-events/2012/12/11/student-speed-networking-event/. We look forward to seeing you there!